Job alerts
Customised job alerts straight to your phone!
Job alerts
Sign up

Working in Jersey

British Citizens and nationals of a Member State of the European Economic Area do not need work permits in Jersey.

Living and Working in Jersey

While Jersey welcomes skilled people to seek work in Jersey, preference is given to residents who have either lived on the island for 10 years, were born in Jersey are the child of a person born on the island or child of a registered resident.

Non-Jersey residents may not purchase property to live in until they have resided in the island for a substantial continuous period of time.

Work Permits

British Citizens and nationals of a Member State of the European Economic Area do not need work permits in Jersey. Other exemptions include a Commonwealth Citizen coming to Jersey for a working holiday or having a UK born grandparent, but these people would have to obtain entry clearance before arriving in Jersey. All other people require work permits, which have to be applied for by the prospective employer.

As from the 1st July 2013 anyone who comes to work in Jersey will need to obtain a Jersey Registration Card before they can be gainfully employed.

Registration Cards

What are they and why they are important for new arrivals to Jersey?

Under the new housing law (Control of Housing and Work (Jersey) Law) new arrivals to Jersey will need a Registration Card in order to be able to live and work on the island. These cards will be needed in order for the holder to buy or rent property, to transfer land, to start working in Jersey, and to reside on the island for longer than 3 months, so any current Jersey resident who changes jobs or moves home will also need one.

The new Registration Cards replaced the old Social Security cards and bear the holder’s name, social security number, residential and employment status and the card’s expiry date. This card is not a form of ID but will be needed by employers and landlords when the holder starts a new job or wants to move home. Registration Cards cost £75 each for newcomers to Jersey or £35 for those who lived in Jersey before 1st July 2013.

In order for those arriving in Jersey as licensed residents to obtain their card, the intended holder will need to present themselves at the Social Security Office in La Motte Street, St. Helier with photographic ID and a signed and dated letter from the HR department of the company who will be employing them. This letter should confirm that the intended holder is licensed to work in Jersey and also mention any restrictions which may have been put on their residential status (eg: whether they are only permitted to lease or whether the license is for a fixed period of time).

Those who wish to live and work in Jersey as registered residents simply need to present themselves at the  Social Security Office in La Motte Street in St. Helier with photographic ID in order to apply for their Registration Card.

People who are entitled to work in Jersey fall into one of four categories: Entitled, Licensed, Entitled to Work and Registered.

Entitled" Residents 

What does this mean?

The "Entitled" category is attributed to those who are Jersey born and have reached the required aggregate residency period. This category also applies to people who have lived in Jersey for a continuous period of 10 years.

High Net Worth Individual’s and those who would previously have been granted residency by virtue of their financial and social contribution to the islands (formerly known as 1.1k residents) will also now be known as Entitled residents. Although prospective High Net Worth residents will still have to make a formal application process to be granted residency in Jersey, and certain criteria still have to be met, the States of Jersey are working hard to ensure that this process is simplified and made quicker. The island is actively encouraging applications from potential High Value residents and those who are looking to move business to Jersey.

"Entitled" residents can purchase or lease any "Qualified" property, set up a business or be gainfully employed without needing to hold a Licence.

"Licensed" Residents

What does this mean?

If you are moving to Jersey for work, it is likely that your employer will have obtained permission for an essential employment permit in order to be able to bring you to the island and you will therefore be classed as a "Licensed" Resident.

As was the case with the old "J" category licence, when an employer has been unable to recruit someone from the local workforce to fill a role, they have the option to seek permission for a licence to employ an individual from outside of the island. However, the employer must prove to the States of Jersey Population Office that they have been unable to recruit an individual with the required skills locally and must therefore recruit someone from off island with the "essential" skills to fill this post.

"Licensed" residents now have the right to lease or buy any "Qualified" property in their own name (and in joint names with a spouse or civil partner) as soon as they arrive on the island provided that they remain "essentially employed". However, the right to buy is not automatically granted to all "Licensed" residents – this right depends on the terms of the individual licence.

For example in the case where an employer needed to recruit someone with a skill set which was not currently available on the island but would probably be readily available in future, the Population Office may take a decision not to allow the Licensed resident occupying this particular post to buy property. However, one huge advantage for the Licensed individual in relation to the old system is that they now have a far greater choice of property to rent or buy. Properties formerly classified as A-H (not previously authorised for occupation by J-category licence holders) will now all be "Qualified" properties along with all former "J" category properties. Consequently, "Licensed" residents will now have a far greater pool of properties to choose from.

Entitled to Work Residents

Who does this apply to?

Residents who are "Entitled to work" are not subject to any restrictions on where they may work and do not require a Licence to work.

They are normally locally born and often have a long Jersey family history or they can be residents that have lived in Jersey continuously for over 10 years.

Registered" Residents

What does this mean?

This category of residence applies to those who would not qualify to live in Jersey under any other category. Subject to compliance with immigration restrictions in place, "Registered" residents are entitled to live and work in Jersey but there are restrictions on where they may live and work. Registered residents may only lease a "Registered Property". Their employment is restricted to those positions for which an employer holds a licence to employ a "Registered" person.

For more information on living and working in Jersey, visit:

Job alerts
Customised job alerts straight to your phone!
Job alerts
Sign up
Connect with us

Follow 1st Recruitment Group on facebook, twitter and LinkedIn for the latest job vacancies and news.

Candidate feedback

Our candidates enjoy our personal, focused approach. It helps them to make valuable connections and develop successful careers.

Read more